Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released under investigation after Epstein revelations

Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite stories in this weekly newsletter.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was released under investigation after police arrested him at his Sandringham home on Thursday following revelations about his relationship with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
The arrest — the first of a member of the British royal family in modern times — prompted King Charles to issue a statement expressing his “deepest concern” about his brother’s alleged misconduct in public office while pledging his own co-operation with the investigation.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the king said. “They have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
Nearly 11 hours after his arrest, Thames Valley Police said: “On Thursday we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The arrested man has now been released under investigation.”
It indicated that it had ended its searches at Sandringham but was continuing searches in Berkshire, where police vehicles have been seen at Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home at Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park.
The former prince was a special representative for UK trade and investment between 2001 and 2011 and a working royal until giving up his responsibilities in 2019 because of his links with Epstein.
Thames Valley Police last week said it was assessing evidence to decide whether to launch a full investigation into Mountbatten-Windsor for misconduct in public office following revelations over his conduct while in the role.
It said it had spoken to specialists from the Crown Prosecution Service as part of its assessment.

The force has also said it is assessing information relating to the possible trafficking of a young woman for sex with the former prince in 2010.
The police action, which took place on the former prince’s 66th birthday, marks the first time a senior member of the royal family has been arrested since King Charles I at the end of the English civil war.
The investigation is the second in the UK into a prominent public figure as a result of the Epstein revelations.
London’s Metropolitan Police visited two properties associated with former cabinet minister Lord Peter Mandelson this month as part of an investigation over potential misconduct in public office. Mandelson has denied wrongdoing.
Mountbatten-Windsor’s relationship with Epstein came under renewed scrutiny this year when the US Department of Justice released millions of documents relating to the disgraced financier.
Documents showed that Mountbatten-Windsor, who was stripped of his “prince” title by King Charles last year, was at times in nearly constant contact with Epstein and his associates, both about business and socialising, often with young women.
They showed that Mountbatten-Windsor had advocated for Epstein on a state visit to the United Arab Emirates with the late Queen Elizabeth in 2010. They also showed he sought to broker an $8bn loan between China and the UAE before the start of an official visit to China later the same year.
They showed that he had shared confidential information acquired as a result of his trade role with Epstein and his associates.
In addition, the files contained an image of Mountbatten-Windsor on all fours above a young woman.

It was unclear to which activities the arrest was related. Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently denied any financial or sexual wrongdoing arising from his links with Epstein and his circle.
Graham Smith, chief executive of anti-monarchy group Republic,
said the police action was a result of his group’s action. Smith reported Mountbatten-Windsor to police over possible misconduct in public office this month.
Earlier on Thursday, asked about the allegations against Mountbatten-Windsor, Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said: “Nobody is above the law.”
Mountbatten-Windsor moved to Sandringham, one of the royal family’s private properties, only earlier this month. Buckingham Palace announced last year that the former prince’s lease over the luxury Royal Lodge mansion in Windsor Great Park was being terminated.
Epstein was found dead in a New York jail cell in 2019 while awaiting trial on child sex charges. He was previously convicted in 2008 of soliciting sex from an underage girl.
There was no immediate response on Thursday to a request for comment from Mountbatten-Windsor’s office.
Comments